Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart - Bongo Fury (Discreet 1975)




I'd guess that somewhere in the two year period when Lans was in college but before I started college, he financed the purchase of a cassette deck by selling off his LP's. Of course, since he sold most of them to me, I believe, for a buck a piece, he was able to record them to tape and still effectively have them. I think that this Zappa album as well as the Byrds album recently converted to CD were among the 50 to 100 albums I acquried from him in the mid 70s. The condition of the vinyl was surprisingly good. Amazon is selling a remastered version for $15.

Wikipedia says:

Bongo Fury is a mostly live album released by Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart in 1975. The live portions were recorded in May 1975 at the Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin, Texas. Studio tracks were recorded in January 1974 (during the sessions which produced One Size Fits All and much of Studio Tan).

The tracks on the LP pretty much run together and in making my initial recording, I put the track marks close to where they belong and plan to use Goldwave to cut and paste beginnings and endings in order to improve trackmark placement. Then I'll burn my archival copy from Media Player, rather than making a disc copy of the CD-RW disc from the CDR deck as I normally do.

No comments: