Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Copyright issues

I've been swapping emails with Brad discussing questions of copyright infringement I'm hoping that what I'm doing here on this blog would fall under the realm of Fair Use. There are some lines which are a bit fuzzy to me and I'm mostly relying on my moral compass to guide me. I have to believe that I can use the music I have purchased (or perhaps more technically, licensed) as a sound track to a slide show that I created and enjoy in the privacy of my home, right? I'm assuming that I can invite guests to watch such a slide show in my home. Any sharing or distribution beyond that feels like it would probably cross a line. However, loaning books or albums is something people do all the time. Suppose I had the means to temporarily disable selected tracks on my computer and render them unplayable, would it then be OK to do that and then burn a CD copy for a friend and then re-enable those tracks when my friend returns the disc?

No comments: